We are proud to serve our communities by protecting public service employees who protect and serve us all.
Our representation of about five dozen fire-service, law enforcement, and public service employee labor unions, both local and national, makes us one of the most experienced public sector labor law firms in Florida. We help our clients navigate and negotiate the difficult and often frustrating political, legislative, and management issues related to government work.
From our offices in Gainesville and Fort Myers, we have established long-term representation of clients from the Keys to the Panhandle. We are retained by general counsels of national and international labor organizations to defend their interests in Florida. We have decades of experience in all aspects of public sector labor law including:
- Proceedings before the public employees relations commission (PERC)
- Organization, certification, and elections
- Collective bargaining and contract negotiation
- Impasse and special magistrate proceedings
- Ratification procedures
- Grievances and arbitrations
- Unfair labor practices
- Pension fund and retirement benefits administration and claims
- General advice and counsel
- Internal union governance and compliance
- Training of officers, stewards, and representatives
- Drafting of collective bargaining documents, contract provisions, and communications
- Defending against claims of duty of fair representation breach
- Defending against discrimination and other employment claims brought by a bargaining unit member
- Litigation of labor disputes before and state and federal trial and appellate courts
- Mediation and other methods of alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
For our first responders, we serve as general counsel to boards of trustees for multimillion-dollar pension funds and we create and represent 501(c)3 charitable and benevolent organizations.